Membrane Based Separation Processes
Forward Osmosis (FO): Developing platform technology as ready to use plants
Research activities concentrated on developing all three essential components of Forward Osmosis process — the membrane, the draw solution, and the recovery technique — to be able to make it economically viable.
FO can potentially replace both Nanofiltration and Reverse Osmosis processes for wide range of applications where dewatering or selectively removing solvent and/or concentration is essential. We are looking at
- Concentration of nutrients in food industry
- Desalination of brackish and seawater
- Industrial wastewater treatment
- Process water recovery and reuse
- High value product concentration and recovery from pharmaceutical industries.
Pressure Driven Process: Ultrafiltration, Nanofiltration and Reverse Osmosis
Sustainable materials and fouling resistant membrane surfaces for separation and purification applications.
Sustainable Energy Materials:
Research and Innovation in exploring materials sources for Energy Generation, Conversion and Storage applications like Fuel Cells, and Supercapacitor. Converting vast seaweed biomass to Graphene, Graphene Oxide (GO), rGO and their application in Energy/Environmental applications.
1. ChemSusChem 5 (2012) 392-395.
2. ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering 3 (2015), 302−308.